So now we know. Jodie Whittaker is to be the new Doctor, the 13th lead actor in Doctor Who. (Ok there’s the War Doctor – lets keep this straight forward please). And yes. The Doctor is now going to be a woman.
Now, I’ll be honest here.
I have been known to argue why The Doctor should be a guy. (Basic argument was that he was a mostly non violent, male role model). But after these 61 seconds, I’m not just ok with the changes, but looking forward to the new era:
It probably helps that I cant help but think that she so looks like The Doctor. (Please dont ask me how I know if an actor looks looks like the Doctor or not).
It’s also been signposted in the show for a while…
But What if you’re upset about the new Doctor being a female?
Here’s a few ideas…
- Check out the Big Finish audio stories. They’ve been producing Doctor Who stories for years, featuring many of the previous Doctors. Give them a listen, but if you’re not sure where to start, the 50th anniversary special “The Light At The End” is a good start.
- Delve into the Doctor Who DVD catelogue. If you really want to try an old go for The Mind Robber.
- Wait it out. Watch the new series, or don’t watch it. We’re talking about a show that reinvents itself every a few years. It will reinvent itself again.
- Remember, somewhere, there are going to be girls growing up with a new more relatable hero. Thats got to be a good thing right? And again, if it sucks, well give it a few years and return to the show.
- Please try and take some joy in this video, and that other girls may well have the same reaction. Please?
— Cassandra (@Jenny_Trout) July 16, 2017
Just a shame that apparently shes not keeping the coat…
Any other suggestions for people struggling with the change?
With thanks to @georgeluke on twitter for the idea for this.
Some of these links are affiliate links, and therefore may lead to helping me sustain my Doctor Who habit.